Eventually I plan to put all these Ideas into a
database to which anyone can add their own or borrow others'.
But for now here is a list compiled by Boye Ahlborn:
- ½ pip for snowboards a) how to turn the boards, b) what forces?
- How to throw a knuckle ball and a curve ball?
- How fast is a hockey puck?
- Life on Titan at T≈0ºC.
- Jet propulsion of octopus, squid, and other aquatic animals.
- Physics of Nautilus
- The news? physics of major evolutionary steps.
- Comparison of a muscle cycle and a combustion engine, stroke by stroke.
- Electrical effects in nerve conduction: design a similar technical system,
- Benefit of myelin, and conduction speed,
- Electrical effects in the cells of a retina
- Animal batteries, & circuit diagrams of electric eels.
- Piezoelectricity of bones & how to replace joint surfaces most efficiently.
- Magnetic senses
- Can one learn from muscles about cold combustion ?
- What processes of mass transport can one learn from the blood system?
- Is the size of the alveoli optimal?
- Why are the wing forms of albatross and eagle so different?
- Flight in the air only, under water (penguins) and both (muirres?)
- Physics of body features of 2-legged and 4- legged animals
- What physical problems are associated with long necks ?
- Physics of animal groups how schools of fish coordinate their motion
- Derive muscle Efficiency and Power as function of contraction speed
- Pinned muscles optimize a) for force, b) for contraction speed.
- Muscle action on bike when jumping onto a bench.
- Comparison of image resolution of eyes and cameras,
- How important is time resolution for animal eyes?
- Fourier analysis of voices a) cat b) human and the mouth geometry
- Voices in the forest, on the plains and in the ocean
- How do aquatic animals produce sounds?
- The sperm whale’s booming voice
- Frequencies generated by the vocal tract and by other body parts
- Sounds generated by insects
- Comparison of eyes of vertebrates and insects
- Thermals induced by Zebra stripes
- Asynchronous muscle & diesel engine
- Speed of nerve conduction eyes &ears
- Sky diving ants H≈5m - mid course correction after 2-3 m fall
- Comparison of Squid and Human eye
- How bees can “cook” an invading hornet predator
Jess H. Brewer